Tuesday, January 18, 2011

on: ambition.

We all have some sort of inspiration. A blog, book, movie, album, artist, friend, sister. Something will get you going and no matter what subject it is, your life will feel re-motivated and you have this infectious sense that anything is possible. That that one thing you've always wanted to do is within reach.

While my inspiration comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes, cheesy musicals and dance movies get me the most. And i think it's because I know that dance is a risky dream with high highs and low lows. That really truly pursuing dancing in the "real world" is a dare that some people, myself included, just won't accept taking. That dancers that stick through the years and years of heartache and rejection just to get your first real job are some of the most dedicated people you'll ever meet. So when I see people, even just in movies, really make the most of their talents and passion, I get inspired.

That inspiration gets me to the studio. Just watching people fulfill their dreams of dancing makes me go back, every time. And that's where the real magic happens. For whatever reason I best express myself with my movement, with my body. I learned early that everything that dance is is communication in a raw form. That while sure I love blogging and a great conversation is way on top of my favorite things list, true emotion absolutely cannot be expressed with words. It takes movement and touch. Dancing is my way of expressing, thinking and inventing, all at the same time. And it's no secret that I'm a physical person in all areas of my life. I'm always the girl jumping up and down and dancing around during worship, because I don't express my worship best through my voice, I just wanna dance for Christ. And I can't tell the people I love most the half of it with my words. I get embarrassed and shy when I try. But I'll play with your hair and hold your hand and kiss you goodnight every single night to express just how much you mean to me. For some reason my emotions are wired to go through my hands and feet more than my mouth.

So here I am again. Trying to find a ride to the studio tomorrow because even though I'm not in school and I don't have a car, I have that sense of hope and ambition that comes with dancing and that comes with faith. Some people call it naive and immature to believe that my life really is going to be okay with all of the madness that is constantly going on. Some of the people who should be my biggest supporters believe I spend too much time at the church, not enough time at school and that my dreams are naive and impossible. But I believe that God works through everything, specifically my talents and my passions and my big dreams, to inspire me in every aspect of my life. And if you are someone who thinks I'm naive or just plain dumb for having such hope and faith in the fact that God is using this time of my life for something greater, and that He gave me my use of the physical for His plans, I challenge you to think about the one thing that inspires you most. If you're a mathematician, math might not be your best inspirer, but instead perhaps the piano. Or if you're an artist, maybe reading a great book gets you there. Just because I have a heart for service and for business, doesn't mean that dance isn't the thing that has always gotten me along, that has always opened up my mind and my heart to things that are otherwise impossible. God works in and through everything, and I can't wait to see what he reveals to me in the sweat and tears of the studio.

1 comment: